This building was built in 1904, and
designed by a local architect named Frank C. Burns who also designed the
Aftermath Club on Broadway and Holly and the Alaska Building, which burned
down in 1969.
The offices in the Daylight Building were converted to apartments in
1918. Although fires significantly damaged the interior in 1926 and 1928;
the exterior made from local brick and Chuckanut Sandstone, remained solid,
symmetrical, and attractive.
This building exemplifies the cultural, social, and economic history of
Bellingham. Throughout the century-plus that the Daylight Building has stood
as a landmark, it has served many different uses. It has housed professional
offices, a Union office, antique shops, a photographer, several music
teachers, and a furrier. It has also held apartments, a car repair/gas
station, taverns, restaurants, newspapers, printers (including Union
Printing), Griggs Stationary, grocers, a cinema, a bookstore,
sauna/spa/hairdressers, Montgomery ward, as well as, many other
For more information see the
Daylight Building National Register of Historic Places Nomination.