The Dr. William H. & Frances C Axtell House is historically significant
for its association with Frances Cleveland Axtell (1866-1953), who was
active throughout her life in local, state and national politics. Frances
was one of the first two women elected to the Washington State Legislature
and narrowly missed becoming the first woman senator in the United States.
The Axtell House at 413 E Maple Street was originally built in 1902 as a
clapboard-sided 2.5 story in the Classical Revival style, and was the Axtell
home from 1902 until 1942, during which is served as a gathering place for a
variety of politicians, suffragists, clubwomen and celebrated personalities.
The Axtell House is significant for the period beginning in 1902 when the
home was built, and ends in 1942, the year Frances moved out of the
Frances converted the house to apartments in 1926, a transformation in which
she was very involved. Based on historic images, elements that defined the
original character of the home remained after the conversion into
apartments. The alterations included reworking of the porch, an addition to
the east and west facades, and a new stucco veneer. Today, the Axtell House
remains the only direct connection to the amazing life and work of Frances
For more information see the
Axtell House National Register of Historic Places Nomination.