The Bellingham Police Department has historically embraced a strong community policing philosophy. This philosophy has emphasized efforts that support fair and impartial policing practices, transparency in service delivery, and participation in neighborhood activities that strengthen the relationships between our department and the citizens we serve.
As part of our efforts to build strong, positive community relationships, the Chief's office has historically called upon community members to act as an advisory council regarding organizational policies, practices and programs. Although inactive for a number of years, the Community Advisory Council (CAC) was reinstated in early 2013.
The primary purpose of the council is to provide the Police Chief with a diverse "community" perspective regarding crime, community safety, neighborhood issues, current/future technologies and how the police department can improve core service delivery. Similarly, each member acts as a liaison between their community/profession and the police department.
The current CAC is comprised of the following members, who meet on a monthly basis:
- Anna Williams - Williams Management Co.
- Arlene Feld - M.A., MFT Clinician III, Crisis Triage
- Bill Gorman - Communications and Public Relations Consulting with Gorman Publicity
- Byron Sprague - General Manager, Roger Jobs Motors, Inc.
- Cameron Meyer - Community member
- Craig Cole - Straight Talk Consulting, LLC
- Larry Estrada - Western Washington University
- Malcolm H. Oliver - Christian Music Ministry/Race Relations Consulting
- Teresa Quinn - Citizen and resident of Roosevelt Neighborhood
Although the CAC does not formally review critical incidents involving Bellingham Police Officers, the members are briefed on such incidents as well as evolving crime trends within the city. More importantly, council members are encouraged to discuss issues of interest or concern from specific community interest groups with the Chief and his Command Staff.
The CAC was involved in the department's update to their Mission Statement, Organizational Vision and Values, and the development of a new department employee performance and evaluation tool.